Many of the top 25 teams faced off against each other this week. Early in the week, #21 Xavier was able to bounce back from their first loss of the season with a home win against #16 Baylor 76-63. Purdue, who had fallen out of the top 25, secured an impressive victory at home by handing #17 Louisville it’s first loss of the season. The Boilermakers shot poorly from 3 pt (5 for 23) but made enough of their free throws (23 of 32) to seal the win over the Cardinals 66-57. #10 Miami stormed into #12 Minnesota and came away with a key road win 86-81. The Hurricane shot 50% from the field and made 10 three-pointers. Although all 5 of the Gophers’ starters scored in double figures, Minnesota’s bench went scoreless in their first loss of the season. Host Indiana didn’t seem intimidated playing #1 Duke and were all square going into the final 5 minutes. However, the Bluedevils outscored the Hoosiers 16-6 to close the game and remained undefeated with a 91-81 victory.
#3 Michigan St got off to a hot start playing at home against #5 Notre Dame and lead by 20 at half. The Spartans’ solid play continued in the second half as the Fighting Irish were unable to make defensive stops and lost their first game of the season 81-63. #22 Texas Tech was unable to slow down Seton Hall who picked up a key victory on a neutral site 89-79. The Pirates shot 51% from the field and were 11 of 20 (55%) from behind the arch en route to handing the Red Raiders their first loss. Unranked Seton Hall also defeated #17 Louisville 79-77 on the road despite shooting poorly from 3 pt (29%) and FT (58%). #8 Wichita St won at #16 Baylor 69-62 who was without starter Terry Maston who is out until January with a broken hand. The Shockers finished the game on a 7-0 run in the the final 3 minutes. #21 Xavier dominated over #11 Cincinnati in a 89-76 victory at home. The Bearcats made only 8 of 28 (29%) shots from 3 point land while the Musketeers were 10 of 21 (48%).
Some notable upsets:
- The visiting Jackrabbits of South Dakota St lead by 20 points at half against Mississippi but needed overtime to get a big road victory 99-97. SD St went 18 of 41 (44%) from behind the arch and were lead by last year’s top scorer in the nation, Mike Daum, who had 26 points.
- Clemson was down by 11 points to home team Ohio State early in the second half but some hot shooting quickly closed the gap. The Tigers displayed an overall strong shooting performance (FG:56% 3 Pt:53% FT:85%) in their 79-65 victory over the Buckeyes.
- The Broncos of Boise St defeated the Oregon Ducks with a buzzer-beater from half court 73-70. The win ended a 46 game winning home streak for the Ducks. The Broncos found their 3 point touch in the second half and made 7 of 11 (64%), including the game winner, after missing all 8 of their attempts in the first.
Games to watch this week:
- Florida St @ #6 Florida (12/4 @ 9:00 PM ET)
- #18 Virginia @ #19 West Virginia (12/5 @ 7:00 PM ET)
- Stephen F Austin @ Louisiana Tech (12/6 @ 7:30 PM ET)
- Valparaiso @ Purdue (12/7 @ 6:30 PM ET)
- Nevada @ #23 TCU (12/8 @ 10:00 PM PT)
- #12 Minnesota @ Arkansas (12/9 @ 6:45 PM ET)
- #20 Arizona St @ #2 Kansas (12/10 @ 2:00 PM ET)