There was college basketball aplenty during Feast Week with numerous tournaments being played and lots of top 25 teams in action. Early in the week #6 Wichita St found itself down by 18 points in the second half to California. But the Shockers were able to climb back and eventually win 92-82. However, Wichita St would later lose to Notre Dame in a superb Championship game at the Maui Invitational. The Irish clawed back from 15 points down early in the second half and eventually won 67-66 in dramatic fashion. The Bruins of #23 UCLA lost their first game of the year to the Creighton Blue jays 89-100 in opening game of the Hall of Fame Classic. Unranked Tennessee hit a 3 pointer in the final seconds of regulation to send their game against #18 Purdue into overtime. The Volunteers out rebounded the Boilermakers (40 to 36) and only missed one free throw (11 of 12) in their 78-75 victory.
The biggest upset of the week belonged to NC St who KO’d #2 Arizona in the opening round of the Battle 4 Atlantis winning 90-84. The Wildcats would go on to lose 2 more games in as many days (SMU 66-60 and #18 Purdue 89-64). #4 Michigan St would win in convincing fashion to #9 North Carolina 63-45. Both teams combined for 38 turnovers and the Tar Heels’ shooting was atrocious (FG: 25%, 3 Pt: 6%, FT: 58%). In the Championship game of the PK80 Invitational, #1 Duke would fall behind by 14 points in the first 5 minutes against #7 Florida. The Blue Devils were able to cut it down to 4 points at half (53-49) thanks to an outstanding 1st half performance by Marvin Bagley III (18 points/8 rebounds). The second half, like the first, had timely runs by both teams with the Gators leading by as many as 15. However, Duke ended the game with a 15-2 run and won 87-84 to remain undefeated.
Some notable upsets:
* Iowa was down by 20 at halftime to Louisiana-Lafayette in the opening game of the inaugural Cayman Island Classic. The Ragin’ Cajuns showed an all around team effort with 25 assists on 30 field goals and would go on to beat the Hawkeyes 80-71.
* Rhode Island knocked off #20 Seton Hall 75-74 in the NIT Season Tip-Off. It was the Rams first time beating a ranked team in over a year.
* Washington St continued their winning ways by beating #21 Saint Mary’s 84-79 at the Wooden Legacy. The Gaels were down by 16 with 4 minutes left but were able to trim the deficit to 3 before a Cougars lay-up with 5 seconds sealed it. Both teams shot over 50% from the field and had 9 turnovers each. #21 Saint Mary’s would also suffer another loss to Georgia 83-81 in OT.
* Undefeated Arizona St blew past #15 Xavier in the second half and raced to a 102-86 win. The Sun Devils senior guard, Tra Holder, had a career high 40 points. The red hot Sun Devils have scored over 90 points in all 6 of their games so far this year.
Games to watch this week:
- Maryland @ Syracuse (11/27 @ 7:00 PM ET)
- #17 Louisville @ Purdue (11/28 @ 8:00 PM ET)
- UNLV @ UNI (11/29 @ 8:00 PM ET)
- #5 Notre Dame @ #3 Mich. St (11/30 @ 7:00 PM ET)
- #25 Creighton @ #15 Gonzaga (12/1 @ 10:15 PM ET)
- #11 Cincinnati @ #21 Xavier (12/2 @ 12:00 PM ET)
- Bradley @ San Diego St (12/3 @ 6:00 PM ET) *FB Live